The following recipe is part of our 5 Part Recipe Series with Chef Isaiah from Coogie’s in Malibu. Today Chef Isaiah has prepared a delicious appetizer with a smoking hot Cocktail Sauce to complement it…
- 1 lb. – Calamari (tubes and tentacles)
- 2 cups – All-Purpose White Flour
- 1 tbsp. – Onion Powder
- 1½ tbsp. – Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp. – Sea Salt
- ½ cup – Potato Starch
- ¼ cup & 1 tbsp. – Tabanero hot sauce
- 13 oz. – Beer (Corona or pale ale beer preferred)
- 32 oz. – Canola or Corn Oil (at least, depending on frying pan size)
- ½ cup – Ketchup
- 2 tbsp. – Prepared Horseradish
- 3 tbsp. – Tabanero Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp. – Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1tsp. – Black Pepper
1. Slice calamari tubes into ½ “ thick rings and lay flat on a dry surface along with tentacles. Pat
2. Combine ½ cup all-purpose flour, onion powder, ½ tbsp. garlic powder, and 1 tbsp. sea salt in
a medium-mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside (this will be your dusting powder).
3. Combine 1½ cups all-purpose flour, potato starch, 1 tbsp. sea salt, 1 tbsp. garlic powder, ¼
cup and 1 tbsp. Tabanero hot sauce. Slowly whisk in beer (corona preferred), until batter is
thick enough to coat your finger, and slowly drip off. The thicker the batter, the thicker the
fried crust. Thin out the batter for a thinner, lighter crust.
4. Add canola or corn oil to a frying pan to fill ½” deep and heat oil on a medium/high flame. If
(even light amounts) of smoke rise from the top of the oil, it is too hot and the flame should
be adjusted accordingly. Then wait 5 minutes. Oil should be in the area of 350 degrees.
5. Lay down a thick layer of paper towels to pat excess oil from calamari after frying.
6. Position dusting powder and batter near frying pan. Place 7-10 pieces of calamari in dusting
powder and then dip in beer batter and immediately add to hot oil. Fry until each piece is
golden brown and then remove from oil with tongs and place calamari on paper towels.
7. Repeat until all calamari is fried to a golden brown. To spice up the plate, slice some fresh Serrano chilies and chopped cilantro and toss with
8. Mix ketchup, horseradish, 3 tbsp. Tabanero hot sauce, lemon juice and black pepper in a medium sized bowl. Serve with Calamari and…. Enjoy!